CDs and technology
S***@aol.com
2004-07-27 12:40:22 UTC
We get so many cds in for review at SWBlues and we've always tried to only
review the "pro" cds (and full length, not any 3-5 song jobs). It used to be
simple to pick out the homemade from the professionally done ones but it gets
harder and harder to distinguish them apart with the advancement of technology
(barcode helps).

We recently received a local cd that is all originals and good but it is
certainly a homemade package. Is it good to break our "no homemade cd" rule for
the locals and how does the musicians that spend a grand think about all this
new rapid/cheap knockouts?

Patti
http://www.southwestblues.com

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Paul Nunis
2004-07-27 12:44:12 UTC
Are you looking for good music? Or are you looking for people with a grand
to spare?

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Lisa Kelly
2004-07-27 13:49:04 UTC
Sometimes, and I am thinking out loud, could it be a case of I have enough
to make a great sounding cd but not enough for packaging? I know of some
places locally or like Disk Makers offer great packages that include
everything down to the bar code and posters. But if you are on a tight
budget sometimes something has to give and it is usually packaging which as
you said can make or break a cd.

I know a local here who has a killer cd and it is all homemade and you
reviewed it or I think you did maybe we are thinking / talking about the
same person. This person told me they would rather spend the money on the
players / engineering aspect of the cd than the packaging. Not really hurt
sales any either.

Lisa~~

Beardo
2004-07-27 13:55:22 UTC
Notice that The Blues Foundation now has a contest for best non-production
Cd this year in conjunction with the IBC. I think that answers the question.

http://www.bandanablues.com
Post by S***@aol.com
BLUES-L to: ***@lists.netspace.org

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Walter Potter
2004-07-27 14:11:35 UTC
I've bought a couple of CDs lately from the artists and the cover art
included the logo of a well known blues label. They were even shrink
wrapped but once opened they were actually burnt CDs. The artists were
selling them for full price with no notice that they were not commercial
quality disks. I suspect that they just couldn't get the CDs from the
label to sell fo themselves or maybe the CDs were out of print but it
would have been nice to know they were copies. I probably would have
bought them anyway but one was missing liner notes and that kind of
ticked me off.
--
maxdog
Post by S***@aol.com
We get so many cds in for review at SWBlues and we've always tried to only
review the "pro" cds (and full length, not any 3-5 song jobs). It used to be
simple to pick out the homemade from the professionally done ones but it gets
harder and harder to distinguish them apart with the advancement of technology
(barcode helps).
We recently received a local cd that is all originals and good but it is
certainly a homemade package. Is it good to break our "no homemade cd" rule for
the locals and how does the musicians that spend a grand think about all this
new rapid/cheap knockouts?
Patti
http://www.southwestblues.com
NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
--
maxdog

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -Will Rogers

http://www.thehungersite.com - http://www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
http://www.thechildhealthsite.com - http://www.therainforestsite.com
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Fred Dabney
2004-07-27 17:08:10 UTC
Post by Walter Potter
I've bought a couple of CDs lately from the artists and the cover art
included the logo of a well known blues label. They were even shrink
wrapped but once opened they were actually burnt CDs. The artists were
selling them for full price with no notice that they were not commercial
quality disks. I suspect that they just couldn't get the CDs from the
label to sell fo themselves or maybe the CDs were out of print but it
would have been nice to know they were copies. I probably would have
bought them anyway but one was missing liner notes and that kind of
ticked me off.
The lack of info on the music and artists, even how someone can
purchase them is a long standing gripe I have about /some/ artist's
promo cds. I've also often bitched about cds that don't have
readable track lists and timing. As a dj, this info can be the
difference between getting a cd on the air or in the wastebasket.

But we made an expensive mistake ourselves. We spent a bunch
of money on some cd players for the main studio that have a hard
time playing home-made cds. They'll skip or even stop altogether.
Some such cds are worse than others, and I've been able to take
a few home, and copy them to another blank on my computer to
get a disk I can play at work. But it has to be one I like before
I'm going to mess with that, trust me. And I don't much like
most contemporary blues bands in general...

Fred D.

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
maurice richard libby
2004-07-27 17:13:39 UTC
Post by Fred Dabney
And I don't much like
most contemporary blues bands in general...
We, know Fred, we know.

[sigh]

maurice
p.s. and I'd like to apologize publically for not sounding like a pre-war
acoustic bluesman

maurice richard libby
aka Whiteboy Slim
"twenty-first century blues"
***@whiteboyslim.com
http://www.whiteboyslim.com
Fred Dabney
2004-07-27 17:28:32 UTC
Post by maurice richard libby
Post by Fred Dabney
And I don't much like
most contemporary blues bands in general...
We, know Fred, we know.
[sigh]
maurice
p.s. and I'd like to apologize publically for not sounding like a pre-war
acoustic bluesman
Don't. You're under no obligation to sound like what I want to hear.
You notice that I didn't say "contemporary electric bands", just
"contemporary bands". This can include acoustic groups as well
Be true to yourself and who knows, I might like it too...

Most of what I don't like about contemporary bands isn't so much
the music as the sound. Rock based rhythm sections and vocals.
Over-produced material.

There are a lot of "Acoustic" cds I have heard that go in the same
can as the rock cds for the same reason. Ugly sound, ugly music.

Fred D.

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Walter Potter
2004-07-27 18:17:21 UTC
Post by Fred Dabney
Most of what I don't like about contemporary bands isn't so much
the music as the sound. Rock based rhythm sections and vocals.
Over-produced material.
I get tired of the whole "slap you upside the head with the snare drum
and vibrate your butt cheeks with the bass" sound that a lot of current
music is mixed like. I had some success in getting the sound company at
our last festival to tone that stuff down a bit.

Rocky Raccoon
2004-07-27 22:16:12 UTC
Being summer time and most of us are taking road trips
(some of you live on the road). If you could make the
perfect blues "Road Tripin'" CD what 15-10 songs would
you put on such a CD?

=====
Rocky Raccoon, MD

"Blues ain't nothin' but a lowsown shakin' chill, if you ain't had them, I hope you never will." -Son House (1902-1988)

Rocky Raccoon
2004-07-27 22:26:19 UTC
After re-reading my post, I am not sure I made myself
clear. I am looking for blues songs about traveling
or moving from place to place. Like Muddy waters "One
More Mile", Hooker's "Wandering Blues," and Champion
Jack Dupree's "Highway Blues."

Thanks.

-Rocky

Blue Stew
2004-07-28 04:10:39 UTC
It seem that most artists wanna improve on something that is
un-imprrovable. I mean, how do you improve on Son House's "Death Letter
Blues"...by adding a slick rhythm section? I don't thin so Lucy.
If it aint broke...
mike

Most of what I don't like about contemporary bands isn't so much
the music as the sound. Rock based rhythm sections and vocals.
Over-produced material.
I get tired of the whole "slap you upside the head with the snare drum
and vibrate your butt cheeks with the bass" sound that a lot of current
music is mixed like. I had some success in getting the sound company at
our last festival to tone that stuff down a bit.
--
maxdog

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -Will Rogers

http://www.thehungersite.com - http://www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
http://www.thechildhealthsite.com - http://www.therainforestsite.com
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

Archives & web interface:
http://lists.netspace.org/archives/blues-l.html

c. n.
2004-07-27 17:19:40 UTC
Post by S***@aol.com
We get so many cds in for review at SWBlues and we've always tried to only
review the "pro" cds (and full length, not any 3-5 song jobs). It used to
be
simple to pick out the homemade from the professionally done ones but it
gets
harder and harder to distinguish them apart with the advancement of
technology
(barcode helps).
I'm sure the question will be asked, are you reviewing the music or the art
directors
photoshop skills, and/or quality of printer used.

Trust me, I appreciate what you're trying to do by keeping the standards to
a certain level, but I really don't think all that many people *really*
care. Sure, a few do...but I had the CD artwork (and photography) for the
Qualls, Dupree, Moeller & Size, and Freeman CDs all done by a cat who
designed CD covers for at least two Grammy Record Of The Year discs, and
harldy anyone noticed, at all. Maybe I'll do any future releases on a torn
paper sack in Bic ink, and say that "these CDs are about the music, not the
packaging." sigh. chuck www.dallasbluessocietyrecords.com
bluesfantom
2004-07-27 19:13:49 UTC
Post by c. n.
Maybe I'll do any future releases on a torn
paper sack in Bic ink, and say that "these CDs are about the music, not the
packaging." sigh.
Anyone remember the Maurice John Vaughn album, "Generic Blues Album"?
White, with title and artist in black block print, complete with bar-code.
Seems to me the original even came in a brown paper bag. Pretty darn clever
at that time. Great timeless album too.

tom
[Never sweat the petty stuff, but always pet the sweaty stuff - Rev Billy C
Wirtz]

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Jay Watterworth
2004-07-28 01:05:26 UTC
This may be way off the mark, but the great jazz artist, Sun Ra, used to
sell lps at concerts that were all hand drawn by the band.

Jay

Walter Potter
2004-07-28 01:19:50 UTC
Now those would be collectable!
--
maxdog

Fred Dabney
2004-07-28 03:59:42 UTC
Post by bluesfantom
Anyone remember the Maurice John Vaughn album, "Generic Blues Album"?
White, with title and artist in black block print, complete with bar-code.
Seems to me the original even came in a brown paper bag. Pretty darn clever
at that time. Great timeless album too.
If you're old enough, you might remember dj copies that all came
that way, from 78's to LP's. Promo LP's came with a stick on
label on the jacket that had titles, composer/copyright info and
timings, all in big print, black on white.

I wish that was still the policy, as it would make my life a lot
easier. But instead, they went to the commercial issue but
with a hole shot in the corner of the jacket or now through
the barcode.

What's also a lot of fun is the damned stickers with the
"this recording is copyright and misuse will result in your
pubic hair falling out in the middle of your gig" labels
plastered right over the track list. Hell, put them in
the middle of the front of the booklet. That won't do
any harm, but half the time if it's on the track list, it
means the cd can't be used during ASCAP/BMI logging,
and that's dumb!

My all time favorite was a vinyl album I got that had a reply
card to fill out with air use and mailed back. It was stapled
to the jacket, right through the edge of the record!

Guess what LP didn't get aired?

Fred D.

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
C***@aol.com
2004-07-27 17:21:27 UTC
In a message dated 7/27/2004 9:11:54 AM Central Standard Time,
maxdog-blues-***@comcast.net writes:
I've bought a couple of CDs lately from the artists and the cover art
included the logo of a well known blues label. They were even shrink
wrapped but once opened they were actually burnt CDs. The artists were
selling them for full price with no notice that they were not commercial
quality disks. I suspect that they just couldn't get the CDs from the
label to sell fo themselves or maybe the CDs were out of print but it
would have been nice to know they were copies. I probably would have
bought them anyway but one was missing liner notes and that kind of
ticked me off.
maxdog
Post by S***@aol.com
A lot of us that buy CDs are not just buying them for listening
enjoyment but as collectors as well. It's like any other collectable, it loses value
if part is missing or if it is poor condition. Therefore if you are like me
you'd feel like you paid full price for a quality product and got a second or
flawed product. Now last year when i saw the Cate Bros here i asked Dave the
sax player for a CD to review on the Blues-L, while i was chatting with him
someone came back with a CD they'd just purchased that had a cracked case, Dave
gave him a new one and me the one with the cracked case which was perfectly
fine since i was getting the CD for free. I still owe them a review but probably
worked out for the better that i do it in the next month or so since they
will be opening for our festival Friday night Pub Crawl on Labor Day weekend. I
will say that upon agreeing to my terms Dave said that'd be cool even though
they are really a "blues band". But that's a can of worms i'd rather not open
right now.<<<<<<
Post by S***@aol.com
new rapid/cheap knockouts?
Patti
http://www.southwestblues.com
Patti
To me that would be something a reviewer would have to judge individually, CD
by CD. Of course something from a label that he/she is familiar with and has
a history for making a quality product would most likely get one's attention
first. However, in the pile of cheapies could be a diamond in the ruff. For
a distinguished, established reputable entertainment guide like Southwest
Blues i'm guessing you'd probably lean toward products that were of a quality good
enough to appear in your publication without diminishing your own products
credibility...you could leave the cheapies to guys like me to sift through and
maybe review in the local "Free Press" or something.

sdh

My latest upgrade has software that enables me to make movies, to transfer to
disk directly from video tape which means that if one were to develop ones
knowledge and skills any one of us could afford to make a movie like a a
"Fahrenheit 9/11" and make some significant dinero. Hypothetically that is.

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Fred Dabney
2004-07-27 17:34:03 UTC
Post by S***@aol.com
We recently received a local cd that is all originals and good but it is
certainly a homemade package. Is it good to break our "no homemade cd" rule for
the locals and how does the musicians that spend a grand think about all this
new rapid/cheap knockouts?
The ultimate test is "does the cd sound like something I'd want to hear
a second time?" I get a lot of promo cds that violate your rule, and
many are not going to be redeemed by being full length, fully packaged
etc, others leave me wishing there was more.

As a matter of principle I really don't like DJ singles, which are a thing
that Malaco insists on sending out. I want to select the songs I play,
but of itself that doesn't stop me from using them on the show. The
content makes that decision for me.

I also got a cd of Dorothy Moore (two of them in fact) on blue disks
that I simply couldn't use because of our wretched players, but I'd
have been happy to use it. I like the woman's music.

Fred D.

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Joel Fritz
2004-07-29 04:27:29 UTC
Post by Blue Stew
It seem that most artists wanna improve on something that is
un-imprrovable. I mean, how do you improve on Son House's "Death Letter
Blues"...by adding a slick rhythm section? I don't thin so Lucy.
If it aint broke...
mike
Personally, I think strings and tympani would do it a world of good. <g>

I think someone blonde and ingenueish (not a word) ought to do a duet
album using Speckled Red's work too.
--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
ROBIN BANK$
2004-07-29 07:36:00 UTC
Just wondering Blues-L... How many magazines and
newspapers out there, musical and otherwise, do you
think link advertising with editorial comment? Is this
a common practice in the media? Is it acceptable or
expected for the artists/companies that advertise in
the media to get reviews or coverage because they're
spending money to advertise that day/week/month/issue?

Just curious, I'm completely ignorant about this kind
of thing. I would honestly like to know your
thoughts...

=====
RB$
http://www.robin-banks.net

Walter Potter
2004-07-29 22:50:16 UTC
As a buyer, I hope they are not linked. I would hope that the magazine
or whatever reviewed things based on what they felt needed reviewing,
not based on who buys advertising from them.
--
maxdog
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Blue Stew
2004-07-30 08:07:59 UTC
"Blues Review" (the paper-zine) has given me three fabulous reviews (for
3 different cds) and I hate to say it but, I've never bought any
advertising space from them. Now I feel Kinda' guilty.
Next one guys...I promise.
Mike
Ps, Thank you Ed Ivey and Tom Hyslop!!

Post by ROBIN BANK$
NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc.
http://www.lsoft.com
Post by ROBIN BANK$
To unsubscribe from BLUES-L, send an email with the message
UNSUBSCRIBE BLUES-L to: ***@lists.netspace.org

Chip Eagle
2004-07-30 20:41:41 UTC
Let me assuage your guilt, Mike. I will be happy to hook you up with the
sales guys at Blues Revue and BluesWax (who do not influence editorial
content. Thanks!

As to the conspiracy advocates, be as skeptical as you like. Sales does not
influence editorial. They don't. They are two different functions, two
different teams, two different cities. I am sorry to disappoint, and maybe
we would make more money if we did, but they don't. Nope. As I keep
repeating here every few weeks and probably will for a long time. Ask any
label who has received a less-than-stellar review on their release that is
advertised in our publications. One moment on the phone hearing THAT
conversation would probably convince you. It does them! Editorial and sales
are still separate at our publications. Got it? Next time this thread
arises, it will be the same. Not me doing some greedy bastard shuffle. Just
the straight shot there. No chaser. (You knew that was coming sometime on
this thread, right!)

Chip Eagle
Blues Revue/BluesWax

Blue Stew
2004-08-01 03:24:37 UTC
Question for you guitar geeks. What'dya' think a '61 Guild D-4 acoustic
(in excellent condition, an 8 1/2) is worth.
No, I'm not selling one but I accidentally f^&*ked up a friend's.
The bad thing is, he's the 1st an only owner...sentimental ya know but I
can't replace that.
Thanks a bunch, mike

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Damon M. Ayala
2004-07-30 00:42:49 UTC
Blues Revue, like other respectable publications, will not let the purchase
of display ads influence who they write about. However, I'd imagine that a
display ad by an artist might create a level of awareness (amongst buyers,
industry folks, AND the people at the magazine) of that artist that may not have
existed before. That can only help.

From my experience, I'd say a single ad doesn't help nearly as much as a
string of ads. It is more impactful to and usually cheaper to run longer ads.

This is still no guarantee of success (sales). Don't spend money on an ad
and go cheap on the design. I happen to think pakaging and presentation are
everything when it comes to an ad. The consumer can't hear how great your music
is through the ad. They gotta be enticed to hit the stores and search online
by the a simple ad.

I'd say that, from my experience, if you are an up n comer on the national
scene, don't commit to an ad to sell records as much as you are in it to create
awareness. That way you won't be disappointed if sales aren't what you expect.

Damon

In a message dated 7/29/2004 3:50:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,

P.W. Fenton
2004-07-30 01:06:59 UTC
At 08:42 PM 7/29/2004 -0400, Damon M. Ayala wrote...
Post by Damon M. Ayala
Blues Revue, like other respectable publications, will not let the purchase
of display ads influence who they write about. However............
I enjoy reading ALL the Blues publications I can get my hands on. BUT...
Let's be real. I don't know ANYTHING about Blues Revue's editorial
policies or practices. However, I am experienced enough (aka old enough)
to know that it only makes SENSE that if you help me make money, I'll be
more eager to help you do the same... ESPECIALLY when we are not
competitors. Magazines that write about music, and people who create music
are not competitors. They, in fact, depend on each other.

OF COURSE a magazine that writes about (and therefore promotes) music will
be more inclined to support music that supports the magazine. It's
practically absurd to suggest otherwise. (unless, of course, you are the
magazine and overly worried about offending readers).

Accept, and enjoy print media for what it is... a business. Let them do
the balancing act between your interests and theirs, while remaining
skeptical about ANYTHING you read from a "for profit" source.

P.W. Fenton
New Port Richey, FL
http://BluesLand.Net - A comprehensive network of Blues related resources

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Doctor Oakroot
2004-07-30 02:17:50 UTC
Journalists are supposed to have a firewall between advertising and
editorial... and, for the most part, I think they do. It's unlikely that a
well-respected mag like Blue Revue is violating that standard.

But, as a prospective advertiser, if I know my CD is being reviewed in a
certain issue you can bet I'll buy advertising in that issue. Why? Because
when Joe Bluesfan finishes reading the review, I want to be right there
with the ad when he's most receptive (and even a bad review might make him
receptive - not everyone agrees with any reviewer).

The result of this is that you will see ads for CDs in the same issue as
the reviews of those CDs - not because the magazine is corrupt, but
because it's good business for the record labels (and, of course, record
labels don't, and shouldn't, have any ethical concerns with this
practice).
http://BluesWeed.com - your premier destination for free blues downloads.

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Damon M. Ayala
2004-07-30 01:21:30 UTC
I know this, but I stated it in a more PC way, don't ask me why. An ad CAN
help get your foot in the door, for sure, but coverage is not a lock.

Damon

c.n.
2004-07-30 05:43:26 UTC
Post by P.W. Fenton
Accept, and enjoy print media for what it is... a business. Let them do
the balancing act between your interests and theirs, while remaining
skeptical about ANYTHING you read from a "for profit" source.
P.W. Fenton
Well then, using that logic, should we--the same consumers who might be
reading this stuff--be skeptical about any record that we hear that was
released by a "for profit" source (i.e. record label)? If not, one might
well ask isn't that a bit of a double standard? chuck

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com
Blue Stew
2004-07-30 08:58:33 UTC
Well then...why trust any business that's in it for profit? So you are
saying, buy the magazines but don't trust what you read in them
?!
Youv'e been reading the National Enquirer too long.
Mike

pat boyack
2004-07-30 05:48:42 UTC
True, but I would think that what goes into the Mag is up to the editor
not the journalists, although some do come up with stories that they pitch
to the editor.

Pat B
www.patboyack.com

c.n.
2004-07-30 12:54:14 UTC
Precisely! Is P.W. also implying that just because someone (or some
company) says that they are a "not for profit" company, that it's so...or
should we be skeptical of their motives too?

Should we question the photographers, simply because they might
charge much more than the costs of materials for a print? Should their
commitment to the blues only be considered worthwhile if they give away
their goods at cost, and not a penny more?

Isn't a profit what keeps this blues thing going...or is it instead to be
thought of and treated as a precious museum piece, one that is expected
to be kept afloat by private donations and grants?
chuck
P.W. Fenton
2004-07-30 13:38:52 UTC
Post by c.n.
Precisely! Is P.W. also implying that just because someone (or some
company) says that they are a "not for profit" company, that it's so...or
should we be skeptical of their motives too?
Should we question the photographers, simply because they might
charge much more than the costs of materials for a print? Should their
commitment to the blues only be considered worthwhile if they give away
their goods at cost, and not a penny more?
Isn't a profit what keeps this blues thing going...or is it instead to be
thought of and treated as a precious museum piece, one that is expected
to be kept afloat by private donations and grants?
chuck
You have now devoted two posts to what you speculate I am implying in one
sentence. I suggest to you that what I said in that one sentence related
only to the discussion at hand... a discussion about how advertising money
might effect editorial opinion, and vice versa. It was not a blanket
rejection of everything created for profit, as you attempt to portray it.

Beyond that, approaching any INFORMATION gleaned from commercial sources
with skepticism is a wise approach. If you believed, for instance, that a
TV network's news department's goal is to keep you well informed about what
is happening in the world, you would be mistaken. Their goal is to sell
cars, soap, breakfast cereal, and anything else that brings in money. That
goal effects the content of what they tell you is "the news". To use such
an information source without keeping that in mind would be foolhardy.

But despite your speculations about the further implications of my one
sentence, I'm sure you knew all this before you started after it.

Blue Stew
2004-07-31 03:22:30 UTC
PW, of coarse the blues media is the biz for profit but, if all an
artist had to do to get some good ink is throw down a coulpla' C notes,
Blues Review would be as thick as a phone book. Think about it.
mike

Damon M. Ayala
2004-07-30 21:05:59 UTC
I was going to mention this earlier about Blues Revue as well. I get ad
solicitations from a completely different location... AND... The solicitation
letter usually indicates what artist that issue will be covering, both features
and spotlights.

The ad rates for large, color ads are VERY reasonable, by the way. I wish
I'd have done it when my release was newer.

By the way... is Blues Revue an international magazine? What is the
circulation in the UK/Europe?

Damon