[BluesList] Invitations to new blues list heading out in the next day
Rich Kulawiec
2014-05-15 14:24:29 UTC
I've held off sending them while fighting an archive problem (see below),
but the consensus is to run with it, accept the fact that the archives
will be imperfect, and fix it on the fly.

The invitations request that you confirm your subscription via either
(a) clicking on a web link or (b) answering the email. I'd prefer that
you use (b) if possible, but (a) will work. (Why? Because using (b)
verifies that not only can I send email to you, you can send email back.
Given all the anti-spam blocking in place on my side and your side,
that's not a given.)

I've got the list in "hold-all-traffic" mode for the moment, so no
point in sending anything to it just yet.

If you don't get an invite by, let's say, Saturday 5/17, let me know.
It's possible (even likely) that I botched an edit.

Okay, you can stop reading here unless you care about the ugly
details of the archiving. ;)

I've been dealing with perplexing/maddening date problems in the archive.
To wit: the list has been run by various installations of various versions
of various pieces of software throughout its history. Plus all the people
on it have used various versions of various mail clients. More than 99%
of the time none of this causes the slightest issue. But when it does...
it does. And the result is that some messages show up with insane dates,
like 2023 and 1956.

The good news: this is far less than 1% of all messages.

The bad news: fixing it is a non-trivial exercise.

My band-aid duct-tape fix: I'm going to slowly feed in as much of the
existing archive as I can while working on fixing the rest. I figure
that "some archive" beats "no archive". Just don't be surprised if
one minute you're looking at the archive and the next minute the
archive index disappears and then reappears 10 minutes later. Expect
wackiness until I finally get this all settled down, which isn't going
to be soon.

---rsk

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Blues-L
Please note changes
- To post, send email to: Blues=***@listserv.nethelps.com (Blues (underscore=
) L @ listserv.nethelps.com)
- To contact the list administrator, send a message to: Blues=5FL-***@lis=
tserv.nethelps.com
- To unsubscribe, send a new email to: ***@listserv.nethelps.com, with the=
message: unsubscribe Blues=5FL
Leslie Keros

Jack and Becky
2014-05-19 07:19:12 UTC
DITTO!
Jack and Becky
Post by Rich Kulawiec
to be soon.
---rsk
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
Post by Rich Kulawiec
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Blues-L
Please note changes
(underscore=
Post by Rich Kulawiec
tserv.nethelps.com
message: unsubscribe Blues=5FL
Blues_L

Rich Kulawiec
2014-05-19 10:43:48 UTC
I think I've spotted the problem. (Although given the lack of coffee,
maybe not.) There's a missing DNS glue record, which means that a
change I scheduled for Thursday night didn't happen. Coffee's on
and I'll dig into it as soon as I get cup or two down. Dang it.

Leslie Keros

Rich Kulawiec
2014-05-19 19:39:17 UTC
Post by Rich Kulawiec
I think I've spotted the problem. (Although given the lack of coffee,
maybe not.) There's a missing DNS glue record, which means that a
change I scheduled for Thursday night didn't happen.
Yep. The fix is being applied as you read this, but it will take some
time to propagate Internet-wide. I'm prepping to re-send as soon as it does.